UAB Hospital Among "America's Best"
Seven UAB Hospital specialty programs are among the nation's top 50 — four are in the top 25 — of the 16 categories evaluated at America's 5,189 hospitals this year by U.S. News & World Report. The rankings appear in the magazine's 17th annual "America's Best Hospitals" issue, released recently.
With its seven ranked programs, UAB Hospital was one of only 176 hospitals, or about 3 percent of U.S. institutions studied — and the only hospital in Alabama — to rank high enough in even one specialty to make the magazine's national "Best Hospital's" list.
Highlights for UAB Hospital this year include:
· The UAB Hospital rheumatology program ranked sixth nationally for an unprecedented 15th consecutive year, topping seventh-place UCLA Medical Center.
· In heart and heart surgery, UAB Hospital ranked 14th, ranking for the 11th consecutive year and ahead of 15th-place Emory University Hospital.
· The gynecology program at UAB Hospital ranked 15th, ahead of the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (16).
· In kidney disease, UAB Hospital ranked 17th, with the University of Maryland Medical Center 18th.
· UAB Hospital's cancer program was 23rd, topping New York-Presbyterian University Hospital of Columbia and Cornell.
· In orthopedics, UAB Hospital was 47th in the survey; and for respiratory disorders, 48th.